10/21/11

THE WILD SWANS "Bringing Home The Ashes"

THE WILD SWANS were formed back in 1980 but it was only on 1988 that the band released their very fist studio album entitled "BRINGING HOME THE ASHES". Fronted by Legendary Musician PAUL SIMPSON and a recent visitor here in the Philippines. The band had a different line up when they did a concert here in MANILA and CEBU. Definitely one of the most memorable New Wave Concerts I have ever watched the past three decades. Hmmmp? Talking about longevity right? Ha Ha Ha!! By the time "BRINGING HOME THE ASHES" was released by SIRE/REPRISE Records back in 1988, THE WILD SWANS' members were PAUL SIMPSON, JEREMY KELLY (Lotus Eaters), and JOE FEARON. YUP!! That's the trio in the Album Cover. That means that two of the members were able to visit the Philippines already since JEREMY KELLY was in MANILA together with PETER COYLE as "THE LOTUS EATERS" back in 2002. YUP!! They were here in MANILA LIVE IN CONCERT and that was also a great concert which I definitely didn't missed out. The reason why JOE FEARON was included in the line up was that GED QUINN who was also one of THE LOTUS EATERS dropped out few months before the album was completed and released. The making of the album also included session players on both keyboards and drums to add up to the unique sound. "BRINGING HOME THE ASHES" was produced by PAUL HARDIMAN and the album officially yielded two singles namely "YOUNG MANHOOD" and "BIBLE DREAMS". As I've mentioned here in my blog on my "THE WILD SWANS: PLATINUM COLLECTION" Blogpost back in APRIL 5 of this year 2011 only few days before the news of their PHILIPPINE CONCERT was revealed to me. THE WILD SWANS were first introduced here in MANILA by NU 107 back in 1988 with the song "BRINGING HOME THE ASHES". The next MANILA hit was "WHIRLPOOL HEART" which was also introduced by NU 107. Then other songs from the album keep on getting airplay from DZBM POWER 105 and of course NU 107 wherein the two singles "YOUNG MANHOOD" and "BIBLE DREAMS" then became a regular playlist. "BITTERNESS" and "ARCHANGELS" also became MANILA hits when It became part of the playlist of the Two Month College Radio Format of 99.5 RT's "RHYTHM AND ROCK" back in 1989. While "NORTHERN ENGLAND", 'MYTHICAL BEAST", and "THE WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE" became POWER 105 DZBM Hits. The one and only song from the album that really didn't have that necessary radio exposure was "NOW AND FOREVER".


Definitely, PINOY NEW WAVERS should have this album on their music collection. In my case, I bought the "BRINGING HOME THE ASHES" Album both on Vinyl Record and CD formats which is shown on the photo. The album for me is a great buy and I consider all songs as CLASSIC indeed!! The album is very much lighter than the early works of THE WILD SWANS, but the messages of the songs here are very dark and enigmatic in a way. Hmmmp? Talking about RELIGION, WAR, ANGST, and REBELLION gave the whole content of a Protagonist's Life of a Preacher I may say. The Music and Lyrics are cut above the rest with a splendid Melody that perks you up whenever you listen to the whole album.


BRINGING HOME THE ASHES CD (1988)
TRACKLIST:

1. Young Manhood
2. Bible Dreams
3. Bitterness
4. Archangels
5. Northern England
6. Whirlpool Heart
7. Bringing Home The Ashes
8. Mythical Beast
9. Now And Forever
10. The Worst Year Of My Life

I decided not to upload the whole album for download because all the 10 tracks were also included on the "The Wild Swans Platinum Collection" which I have already featured here on my little blog "The Doctor Is In". Btw, THE WILD SWANS performed a record SEVEN SONGS from the album on their MANILA Concert at ONE ESPLANADE last OCTOBER 1, 2011 which I think would establish how good the album is. The songs they played were "Bible Dreams", "Archangel", "Northern England", "Now and Forever", "Whirlpool Heart", "Worst Year of My Life", and of course the album's title track "Bringing Home the Ashes" which was also the song the band sang on their only Philippine T.V. appearance on EAT BULAGA which I've also featured here in my blog recently.

LISTEN TO "WHIRLPOOL HEART" Here:
Btw, this song was included on one of Philippine New Wave Legendary Vinyl Record Series called"THE BEST OF NEW MUSIC" which I already featured here on my blog wayback December 1, 2009 so just check my Labels/Archives.


LISTEN TO "BITTERNESS" Here:



There was a Tribute Party given to the Late RONALD TENGSICO aka. TAZMANIAN DEVIL who was one of the Legendary DJ of POWER 105 DZBM FM back in JULY 3, 2010 which was entitled "BRINGING HOME THE ASHES" and held at NOMIXX BAR and RESTO. TAZ, THE GODFATHER of THE POWER SWITCHERS CLUB as he was called, passed away MAY 24, 2010 then was cremated. Well, as the saying goes "ASHES TO ASHES; DUST TO DUST".


I also included Two VIDEO CLIPS of THE WILD SWANS CONCERT here in MANILA shared by fellow KABAYANS just to spice up this blogpost of mine. Well, since I'm not really into taking Videos that much in Concerts because of my experience of singing along with the songs while watching, then my voice would be much louder. Ha Ha Ha!! YUP!! I was supposed to upload Videos of The Lost 80s, Gene Loves Jezebel Concerts, just to name a few since I was lucky to attend all these NEW WAVE 80s concerts here in MANILA, but that problem couldn't be solved. Ha Ha Ha!! Up until now, I still have goosebumps recalling what transpired on THE WILD SWANS Concert. WOW!! THAT WAS INDEED AN EXCELLENT CONCERT TO BE CHERISHED!! THANKS to all KABAYANS who shared these Manila Concert Video Clips. MABUHAY!!

THE WILD SWANS MANILA CONCERT:


WATCH "THE WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE" Here:



WATCH "ARCHANGELS" Here:



Of course, here's The Two Music Videos of
THE WILD SWANS' official singles of the album:





WATCH the Music Video of "YOUNG MANHOOD" Here:




WATCH the Music Video of "BIBLE DREAMS" Here:



Btw, if you haven't read my "THE WILD SWANS: PLATINUM COLLECTION" Blogpost just click THE WILD SWANS Photo to ENTER it:



Well, I hope you guys ENJOYED another trip down memory lane here on "The Doctor Is In" by this blogpost special on THE WILD SWANS album "BRINGING HOME THE ASHES". I'll leave you with the Title Track of the album and do join me in singing it. THANKS for dropping by!!

LISTEN and SING ALONG to "BRINGING HOME THE ASHES" Here:


BRINGING HOME THE ASHES
Lyrics

Goodbye...
To out of England
The pain never fades away after all these times

Word war...
And revolutions
The hat and the heart of England never dies

Bringing home the ashes
It's more than I can bear

Goodbye...
Chained of sorrow
The curse of a thousand year beneath the gloves
Warm down and hardly breathing
The hat and the heart of England never dies

Bringing home the ashes
It's more than I can bear

When winter lightning flashes
You'll find me all way there

Bringing home the ashes
It's more than I can bear

When winter lightning flashes
You'll find me all way there

Word war...
And revolutions
The hat and the heart of England never dies

Bringing home the ashes
It's more than I can bear

Goodbye...
Chained of sorrow
The curse of a thousand year beneath the gloves
Warm down and hardly breathing
The hat and the heart of England never dies

Bringing home the ashes
It's more than I can bear

When winter lightning flashes
You'll find me all way there



Let's BRING HOME THE ASHES!!
-DR. STIRRING RHOD

No comments: