3/7/08

My E.J. Rock Musical REVIEW

I made a post about "EJ ROCK MUSICAL featuring THE DAWN" last month. Here's the link to my post:


I was able to get a pair of tickets for this show given to me by my friend Danny. It was on a Saturday evening that I was able to watch this great Rock Musical.I would say that the show was very relevant in the recent political crisis that's happening right now here in the Philippines. I would not really touch on the delicate political messages on the play but I definitely find the story plot and the scene created by the Production Staffs and the Casts very interesting and overwhelming. WOW TALAGA!!


WHY E.J.? Well, E.J. stands for the two important political characters that were portrayed in the Musical Play namely EVELIO JAVIER and EDGAR JOPSON. Both activists in their respective ideals and both are Ateneans.

EVELIO JAVIER (October 14,1942- February 11,1986)
Played by RICKY DAVAO
Alternate: Juliene Mendoza

EDGAR JOPSON (September 1,1948- September 20,1982)
Played by JETT PANGAN
Alternate: RODY VERA

A special booklet souvenir was sold on the gate which I find very informative. It also included a Songlist and Lyrics on the songs by THE DAWN which was sung on the play.

The show opened up with a narration that sets on a Historical Content of the Philippine Martial Law Era. Although the evening I watched the play it wasn't Ricky Davao and Jett Pangan on stage I still find the two Alternate Casts as great stage actors. BRAVO TALAGA!!! The story mainly focuses on the struggles of these two young boys going through a different path of life. They were both active in the political scene back then and have inspired a lot of our Kababayans to fight for their rights. Sadly. taking photos during the play was prohibited. The Multi-awarded Mr. ED MARANAN wrote this play and I have to really congratulate him for what he have done that mainly mixed HISTORY, POLITICS, HUMAN DRAMA, and of course MUSIC. I love the interpretation on every THE DAWN songs which were sung as the play progressed. Instead of THE DAWN, The Sisig Band was the one who performed on stage that night. I began to appreciate again deeply the lyrics on every song by THE DAWN like "ABOT KAMAY", "SALIMPUSA", "HARAPIN ANG LIWANAG". My favorites would be when the casts sang "IISANG BANGKA TAYO" and "SALAMAT". GRABE ASTIG YUNG DATING!! These two young lads, Evelio and Edgar, have their own beliefs and ideals that they stood up and never did they back out on it. Although, both of them never met each other in real life they have made a great influence on a lot of people during their times. A story filled with so much social and emotional resonance of great proportions. I was also touched when the play tackled on their respective families which were very much affected by the crisis especially their wives who have also been very supportive to them. Well, It was just sad that both Evelio and Edgar were killed fighting their ideals. To know more about Evelio and Edgar just click the link on my previous post. To wrap up the play was the song "SALAMAT" sung in Acapela. I was really blown out with this final song.
CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS GREAT MUSICAL PLAY!! GALING!!

THANKS!!

FROM: DR. STIRRING RHOD

2 comments:

Zozobee said...

Salamat sa pagnood :D
Glad you weren't disappointed that it wasn't the Dawn playing, though we understand if you did. The Dawn is Pinoy Rock. :D Salamat ulit.

JC of SISIG

DrStirringRhod said...

Thanks for the comment JC!:-) GALING nyo nga eh!! More power to SISIG BAND!! IISANG BANGKA TAYO!! Thanks for dropping by my Blog!!

DR. STIRRING RHOD